This year Connect Indonesia is starting a new programme, called “Gedog Nusantara Warna Alam”. The objectives of this programme are:
- to encourage the production of ikat weaving using back-strap loom weaving tools with the use of natural dyes
- to encourage young people (boys or girls) to learn how to weave, working collaboratively with experienced weavers.
- to encourage experience weavers to produce higher quality ikat textiles buy using good grade cotton or silk threads.
- to offer support in marketing their finished products globally
This year we met our potential beneficiaries, a weavers group in Oesena, a small village in the Amarasi region of West Timor. During our visit, the senior weavers demonstrated the use of natural dyes products. On this visit, we also formed a young weavers’ group so that we can monitor their work closely and communicate directly with the young team.
Here in Oesena, the team has produced amazing natural colors using materials such as:
- Mahoni (mahogany barks) – for natural reddish brown
- Ketapang leaves for natural black
- Jackfruit leaves for natural yellow
- And many more colors achieved by experimenting with many different materials gathered locally.
We were informed that Indigo and Morinda are yet to be applied in coloring their yarns, partly the color of Indigo is not commonly used in the Amarasi region. In Baun, Morinda is used regularly.
Currently, the children are busy weaving, under the supervision of the adults, under the leadership of the Weavers’ group head, Mrs Serly Boymau-Heri Torry